Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Devilish Chicks!


Looking for a new way to make deviled eggs for Easter? These little peeps might be just looking for - especially if you have children or grandchildren!

Be advised, these are somewhat time-consuming so you may not want to make them for a large party but they are certain to put a smile on everyone's face. They made me smile just making them :)


The chicks' eyes are made from pimento-stuffed olive slices and the 'feet' and 'beak' are made with carrot slices and wedges. Red pepper can also be used for the beak.

Deviled Egg Chicks
Printable Recipe
~also found by clicking here

8 extra-large eggs, hard-boiled
Your favorite recipe for deviled egg filling (I like to use real mayonaisse, salt, pepper and just a sprinkle of celery seed. Some people like to add prepared mustard)
4 pimento stuffed olives, sliced thin
1 carrot for cutting feet and beak or a red bell pepper for beak

Place eggs in saucepan of cold water.
Bring to a boil over med-high heat, STIRRING GENTLY AND CONSTANTLY, *this keeps the yolks in the center.
Boil and gently stir for 2 minutes.
Place on tight fitting lid and turn off heat.
Let sit for 25 minutes.
Carefully put eggs into bowl of ice water. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.

Carefully peel eggs, rinse with cold water, place on paper towelling. Cut a thin slice off bottom of each egg so they stand up. With a paring knife, cut top third of egg off in a zig-zag patter and carefully remove tops. Scoop out the yolks. You may need to use your paring knife to break up yolks inside to get them out without breaking the white.

Place yolks in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork or pastry cutter and add enough mayonaisse (as you like) to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and mustard or celery seed, if desired.

Overfill bottom egg white "shell" with filling, place top "shell" on carefully pressing very gently. Place two olive slices for "eyes", pressing them into the filling gently.

Push 2 triangles of carrot or red pepper into filling to make beak. I also cut 'feet' from a thin slice of carrot by cutting out several triangle shapes from the circle of carrot.

You may want to boil a few extra eggs for this, in case some of them don't peel well or get wrecked and to insure that you will have plenty of filling!

34 comments:

  1. Oh Nana2B..Winner peeps here:) Trop cute!
    I bet you had fun..Their faces are so adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the cutest! I love those chicks, but they look adorable, not so devilish :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are the cutest things I've ever seen! i have to make them for my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so creative...I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are such cuties Susan! It would make me sad to take a bite of one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love these devilish little chicks. Too adorable for words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, those are just too cute! My sis is in charge of deviled eggs for Easter so I will pass this on to her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, these little chicks are darling. I found the photo at Tastespotting, which led me to your blog. Love it! The photos are wonderful.
    I'll be following you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, those have got to be the most adorable eggs I've ever seen! You have a lot of patience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too hilarious! Very cute. I posted a link on my edible crafts column at craftgossip.com (ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com). Hope that's OK and it brings you even more clicks! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are sooo precious!!!!! I love them. I WILL try at least one of these with my easter eggs. Thanks for sharing with us!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are just too cute! I would love to try them for Sunday...
    Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are sooo funny. I'm planning on deviled eggs for Easter Monday and I may have to try some like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susan, sorry to be redundant, but the chicks are adorable ... too cute.

    I know any little child (or a child at heart) would love these.

    Thank you for the recipe and your wonderful photos.

    (These are just as cute as the olive penguins.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute!!!!
    I think they would be a great addition to instructables.com. Have you ever visited there? If you wanted to post this as an instructable, I would make sure it gets featured on the front page, and drives traffic back to your site!
    Let me know what you think!

    Best,

    sarah@instructables.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are simply the cutest little appetizers I've seen in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, those are SO cute! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute!! Hope you don't mind if I take off from the chicks--I'm going to try my grandkids' faves--an alligator, bunny and frog.
    Thanks for a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you all for your very kind comments! I hope those of you who try them enjoy some smiles too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just saw these on amazon's blog. Possible new presentation idea: little red devil horns from bell peppers. Make them look ... devilicious! (sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  21. These eggs are beyond cute! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are so darling! I will be making these for Easter this year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I luved it :D
    I even made a direct link to this post from my blog, right on the "tip of the day".
    Cheers..!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are just so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I shared on FB and twitter with links back to you. My readers all have lots of eggs... there are going to be parades of marching owls.
    Terry at HenCam.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Trop trop mignon !!!! je craque et je vais traduire en français pour faire ces petits poussins * MarieLaure *

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've just discovered these through Spanish site Pequerecetas, they are fantastic! I will attempt them at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always make devilled eggs for Easter, but never thought of making chicks. I might give it a try this Easter, because these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!